New Coach, Same Team

Caleb Gullahorn, Co-Editor

Mike Malham finished his last of a historic career walking the sidelines of the Cabot Panthers football team. With the 2018-2019 season being the last season for one of Arkansas most successful high school coaches in state history the Panthers will be seeing a new face on the sidelines for the first time in thirty eight years. Malham was a historic figure at Cabot winning two state championships along with multiple conference championships. He reached a milestone of three hundred career wins made this season a success, and another reason to hang it all up and retire.

Replacing Coach Malham will be former El Dorado head coach Scott Reed. Prior to accepting the head coaching job at Cabot he was head football coach for Forrest City High School. Reed also spent three years as assistant football coach for Stephen F. Austin University. During his 12 seasons at El Dorado, he achieved numerous accomplishments including four 6A State Championship titles (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013) and averaged an outstanding nine wins per season with the Wildcats. Reed also has served as a head coach at Bartlett, TN from 1994-2002, and an assistant coach at Houston High School in Texas from 1991-1994.

Reed has many accomplishments in his life from winning the Lowell Manning Award for Outstanding High School Coach in AR and the 6A Coach of the Year in 2009-2011. Reed was also a walk-on quarterback for the Arkansas Razorbacks and played for a very familiar name, Lou Holtz, and served as a graduate assistant under Ken Hatfield.

Cabot Football will be in good hands with Coach Reed and the tradition of excellence will continue. Panther fans are anticipating not only seeing Reed coach but also the type of offense he will insert with quarterback Tyler Gee and a great recieving core including Dekairo Rudolph, and a dual back Graham Turner. Malham will be missed here, but Reed hopes to start a legacy of his own as a Cabot Panther.