300 Has Arrived

Nick Ryan, Staff Writer

The Cabot Panthers defeated the Little Rock Central Tigers last Friday, 41-21, achieving Malham’s 300 win as a head coach.

The Tigers had the first possession of the game and came out firing as Senior Back Keylin Holloway rushed for a 55 yard touchdown for the first score of the game.

The Panthers would be able to retaliate on their first drive of the game, as TJ Rogers pushes a 9 yard run to the end-zone. Senior Mason Martin’s extra point attempt was blocked by Central, which still gave the Tigers a one point lead.

Central’s Senior Receiver Dajun Brewer, scores off a jet sweep option to put the Tigers back in control. Sophomore Lawson Gun found Senior Receiver Talmadge Hasberry III for the two point conversion giving the Tigers the lead 15-6.

Before halftime, the Panthers would drive down the field two possessions and score touchdowns on both. Senior Back Rogers found the end-zone for the second time of the night and Senior Back Isaiah Ogilvie scored off one of the riskiest trick plays in the game the Fumblerooski for 64 yards. The Panthers would go into halftime with a 19-13 lead over the Tigers.

“It’s one of those high risk, high reward kind of plays,” Ogilvie said. “That played changed the team’s spirit and momentum for the rest of the game.”

In the second half, the Panthers rode the momentum of the first half and took that as an advantage as they were able to score two more consecutive touchdowns. Rogers was able to capitalize off an 11 play, 75 yard drive to get his third touchdown of the game from two yards out.

After a quick three and out for the Tigers Offense, Rogers would then reach the end-zone off a 67 yard punt return to put the Panthers up 33-15 in the third quarter. Senior Quarterback Jessie Windemaker punched it in the end-zone giving the Panthers the win 41-21.

“This game will be one of my most memorable high school football memories,” Senior Line Backer Dalton Crumbly said. “As a senior, this last Homecoming Game meant something to me, and now it’s even bigger when we were able to achieve this milestone for Coach Malham.”

With this win, the Panthers are at 3-4 overall for the year and still have a potential shot at the playoffs. The Panthers will finish their season playing three out of the four best teams in the 7-A Central Division.

“All of us on the team know that the rest of the season isn’t going to be a walk in the park,” Senior Defensive Tackle Jace Smith said. “We know that if any team can do it, we can get the job done.”

The Panther’s road to the playoffs continues this Friday, October 19th against the Bryant Hornets, who are the 2 ranked team in the state of Arkansas.