Beast On the Mats

Caleb Gullahorn, Staff

Author Dan Gable said, “Once you’ve wrestled everything else in life is easy.” This concept is something wrestlers everywhere live by. Cabot High School Wrestling is one of the most prestigious sports at CHS. The team dominates because of the young talent that comes through the school.

Wrestling is one of, if not the most physically tasking sports a person could do. With countless hours of hard work and dedication, wrestlers must stay healthy and keep their body in shape. “The hardest thing about wrestling is right after a big match that you could have won or your team needed you to win but you lost, and the hardest part is facing the reality of letting your team down,” junior Dylan Skinner said. To be a wrestler you must not only be strong physically and mentally. In a match wrestlers must have confidence in order to defeat your opposition.

There are only four seniors on the team; Skye Williams, Cooper Knuth, Nolan Knuth, and Mac Davis. The team is very junior heavy, with nine players total, Jake Long, Zach Wilmoth, Mason Wade, Dylan Thornton, Dylan Skinner, Mikale Nelson, Kyle Murphy, Cayden McLaughlin, and Frankie Fuentes. Then sophomores and freshman add up to have a total of 15 players being coached by Justin Turner and David Payne.   

To prepare for state, the wrestling team took part in a tradition in dying their hair blonde. The act is truly meant for team bonding and the assertion of your dominance on the mat. “It brings you together because after you do it you now all have something in common and something you can’t take back, it also shows our pride and commitment to the team,” Skinner said.

The team has had a great season like always. The season came to an end with one last tournament, the State Championship hosted at UALR. The Panthers have won many State Championships in the past. The Panthers fought hard in the tournament and finished fourth overall and finishing with several people earning medals.