National Honor Society

Desiree Erzar, Staff Writer

National Honor Society (NHS) is a unique group of students who strive to do good in our community. As of now, there are about 450 CHS students involved in this society, but 250 sophomores join yearly. “Mrs. Glover has been pushing for more community based things,” Club President Jeremiah Brown said.

Invitations to join NHS are sent out based on the first semester GPA of students sophomore year. The invitation also comes with an application process that determines if you can be part of NHS. This group meets only once a month, unless you hold one of their many officer positions. “We do service projects that are local, it’s just a way to celebrate students who are academically excellent throughout high school,” Brown said.

This group strives to make our student body and community better by having a strict 3.5 GPA requirement, as well as requiring 12 volunteer hours a semester, per student. NHS participates in doing a lot of community work every year. “We’re actually making a free library that will improve literacy and our overall graduation rates,” Brown said.

As stated by Brown, being a part of this active group will look good on resumes, and can even help you get accepted into college clubs in the future. As the teacher sponsor of this society Mrs. Glover stated, being a part of National Honor Society can help you get a specific scholarship that is for strictly for NHS students. “It looks good on your resume and can help you get a scholarship,” Brown said.