UKOTC Forensics and Debate Tournament

Ella Peppers

Ten forensics and debate students competed at the Kentucky Season Opener tournament on September 10. Four of those students earned a bid for being able to compete at the University or Kentucky Tournament of Champions.  For students to be able to compete at the UKOTC tournament, they must earn two bids at different tournaments throughout the Debate and Forensics season.

Seven students that competed at the Kentucky Season Opener tournament placed and earned awards. Chloe Howard placed fifth in poetry interpretation. Emma Durham placed third and received a bid in poetry interpretation. Kathleen Armstrong placed third and received a bid in prose interpretation. Senior Alix Brown and Aidan Gray placed third and received a bid in duo interpretation. Annabelle Morden placed second in Lincoln Douglas Debate, and fifth in speaker, while Joelle Buckner placed third in speaker.

“I feel proud of the place I earned. I’m grateful to compete even though it was online,” senior Kathleen Armstrong said.

Tiffany Tucker, the forensics and debate teacher, taught the students how to compete in the competitive tournaments, and is very proud of how far they’ve come. 

“This is a big accomplishment for students so early in the season. As the coach I think that several of these students have the chance to get fully qualified for the UKTOC and do well at this very competitive national tournament,” Tucker said.